Plant-Based Diets: From Blah to Rah!
Liam Hemsworth, Virat Kohli, Billie Eilish, Sonam Kapoor, Lewis Hamilton, Zac Efron, Ariana Grande, Aamir Khan – what do they have in common, apart from fame of course? They are all vegans, following a plant-based diet that excludes animal products. In fact, plant-based diets are increasingly becoming popular amongst health-conscious people.
Though trending today, veganism is not really a novel concept. Plant-based diets have been a part of ancient civilizations from the time of the Harappans and the Greeks. Today, one’s decision to opt for a plant-based diet could have many reasons, ranging from ethical questions and health benefits to environmental impact. While some go completely vegan, others prefer to be vegetarian by not omitting milk products from their diet.
Here are some of the benefits of a plant-based diet, in case you’re still on the fence!
- Weight loss: People on plant-based diets have a lower average BMI (Body Mass Index) than omnivores; they are also able to lose weight faster, and keep it off for longer!
- Healthy heart: A plant-based diet lowers your risk of heart disease by keeping your cholesterol and blood pressure under control. Another reason to load up on the veggies!
- Lower cancer risk: Studies have shown that increasing one’s intake of fruits, veggies and whole grains as against red meat and processed foods can significantly lower cancer risk.
- Healthy mind: Another important benefit of a plant-based diet is related to mental health. Research has shown that a diet rich in polyphenols (the micronutrients found in fruits and vegetables) can slow down the progression of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
- Save the Earth: Plant-based diets are great not only for us but for the planet as well. For instance, it takes 14 times as much water to produce food for a meat-based diet as it does for a plant-based diet. Switching to a plant-based diet is a great way to lower your carbon footprint!
Now you’re thinking, yes, the benefits are great, but isn’t a plant-based diet just plain boring?
Trust us, there is no dearth of delicious and interesting food options available. With a diet centred around vegetables, fruits, whole grains and lentils, you can treat yourself to everything from rice bowls, thalis, pasta, and salads to sandwiches, wafers, nuts and sweets. A plant-based diet offers a great deal to your taste buds as well as your health!
When it comes to snacking, we already have you covered with a range of healthy, all-natural snacks. Our rice crackers, popped chips, coconut chips and dried fruit are all vegan, gluten-free, and free of any artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. Whichever kind of plant-based foods you prefer, our healthy snacks are the perfect complement!